Amber vs Orange

Subject: Amber vs Orange
From: Steve English <ink -at- MICROS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 08:29:27 -0500

Carl Miller writes,

Should I use "orange" or "yellow" instead of "amber?"

There's a scene in Mark Twain's "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court"
in which the title character gets thrown in prison. He asks his cellmate,
"What're you in for?" The cellmate responds, "I said the queen's hair was
red."

Our protagonist thinks for a minute, and says, "But the queen's hair IS red!"
The cellmate proceeds to explain that there are some people who, once they
reach a certain social status, go from being red-haired to having hair that is
auburn. He doesn't expect to get out any time soon.

Ask yourself the following question: If you call the panel indicators "orange",
is there anybody who won't know what you mean?

Steve English
ink -at- micros -dot- com