Flame about citation

Subject: Flame about citation
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 1995 09:42:38 -0800

> The courtesy of acknowledging the author and adding reference (Re:) to
> the subject, even quotes, I thought was considered acceptable conduct
> on this list?

Acceptable, yes. Desirable? not always.

If you are responding to what someone said, it makes sense to include a bit
of it to orient your reader. If they are interested in the topic they will
probably remember the posting you're responding to.

If the subject simply triggered you to say something not closely related,
then what's the point of a quote? If the original subject line is no longer
relevant, why include it?

As for citing the name of the author, I think that often introduces an
extraneous emotional element, especially if your contribution could be
construed (even remotely) as a criticism of the original posting. Why not
just state the point you're responding to and add your response? More
emphasis on the ideas and less on the personalities. ...RM

Richard Mateosian Technical Writer in Berkeley CA srm -at- c2 -dot- org