Using Notes in User Manuals

Subject: Using Notes in User Manuals
From: Lianne Card/HQ/3Com <Lianne_Card -at- 3MAIL -dot- 3COM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 09:19:11 EDT

My department is currently reevaluating how we use notes in our manuals.
Cautions and warnings seem to have clear guidelines, because of their legal
ramifications and evolution out of the Mil Spec and standards worlds. Using
notes seems to be less well-defined for style and usage. How do you use notes?
What are their purpose? How many are too many?

Opinions and guidelines are welcomed.
Thanks.