Was he a Tech Writer or not?

Subject: Was he a Tech Writer or not?
From: "Scott J. Wilson" <scott -at- WWTC -dot- TIMEPLEX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 10:21:05 -0800

>>The main character (I can't remember his name) in "Zen and the Art of
>>Motorcycle Maintenance" was a technical writer.

>I seem to recall that Robert Pirsig was a philosophy professor at Montana
>State University. This is why he was obsessed with Plato's inquiry into the
>nature of Quality.

The main character of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was both a
technical writer and a philosophy professor: at different times.

To sum it up, the philosophy professor goes insane in his philosophical
quests. When he is released from the facility where he underwent electric
shock treatment to "cure" him (which simply kills off his old personality,
so that he goes back into society not remembering who he was--he later
remembers), he doesn't have a profession, so he gets into technical writing,
at least for a time.

Hope this helps.

Scott J. Wilson, (310) 443-4028, 70541,1466, scott -at- wwtc -dot- timeplex -dot- com

"What is hateful to you, do not to your fellowman. That is the whole of the
Torah (Law); all the rest is commentary." Rabbi Hillel