Re: "Mapping Hypertext": book and results

Subject: Re: "Mapping Hypertext": book and results
From: "Dodge, Merrill SLC" <MDodge -at- SLCPO2 -dot- SLC -dot- UNISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 15:21:00 MST

First IM is methodology, that is, a way, of writing structured documents;
not a tool like a word processor or programming language.

We use IM for our libraries and indeed it lends itself well to hyperlinked
documentation. Moreover, it is a good methodology for technical writing per
se. IM requires of us a modular structure that, fortunately, links together
well for the user to move from one topic to another or back and forth
between related topics.

The key is in the individual maps. Each map is a complete topic by itself,
so it doesn't need the assistance of preceeding text to give it context.
Larger maps can be a collection of hyperlinks to smaller maps, etc. We find
that users don't often read a technical publication a page a a time; but
rather, approach the book with a question in mind and want to go right to
the information they need. IM works well this way in the types of maps you
use to structure you information.

Merrill Dodge
gmd -at- unislc -dot- slc -dot- unisys -dot- com
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: "Mapping Hypertext": book and results
Date: Monday, January 23, 1995 3:18PM

Robert Horn (founder of Information Mapping, Inc.) wrote
"Mapping Hypertext" in 198x. He claimed that Information
Mapping (IM) was the ideal vehicle for creating hypertext
documents.

Do you know of any such documents created using the IM?
Do you know of any attempts that didn't succeed? If so,
why didn't they?

Thanks!