Re: in or on

Subject: Re: in or on
From: "Frank Saucier [Tech Pub]" <frank_saucier -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 09:09:00 -0500

Cc: edunet -at- ZEUS -dot- DATASRV -dot- CO -dot- IL

> The application I'm writing about has a tree browser that displays icons
> representing the different members of a school's organization. Which
> sounds better:

> Click the student icon displayed in the browser.

> or

> Click the student icon displayed on the browser.

> (Would you leave off the word icon? Would you use 'select' instead of
> 'click'?)

> Thanks for the help

> Chani Sacharen
> edunet -at- zeus -dot- datasrvv -dot- co -dot- il

Here's an answer I'm sure you didn't expect ---> It would depend.

If this was a step in a procedure and the actions of the previous step
indicated that a "browser is displayed", I would probably write:

Select the student icon.

Then again ,"select" indicates an existing knowledge of how to "select" for a
particular type of software. For example clicking vs. double clicking. The docs
I have worked on typically have a section that discusses "selecting an icon".
If this were true, I would probably write:

Select the strudent icon from the browser.

Knowing only what's in your message, my answer is:

Click on the student icon displayed by the browser.

Frank

| FRANK SAUCIER | |
| Mentor Graphics Corp. | Hippity-Hops and stairs don't mix. |
| fsaucier -at- warren -dot- mentorg -dot- com | |