Re: On Demand Printing - Docutech

Subject: Re: On Demand Printing - Docutech
From: "Dodge, Merrill SLC" <MDodge -at- SLCPO2 -dot- SLC -dot- UNISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 15:49:00 MST

We at Unisys in Salt Lake City, Utah do publish on Docutech systems located
in both Salt Lake City and Plymouth, Michigan. We send our printfiles via
our Netware LAN to the printqueue for the Docutech here in SLC or to
archival in Plymouth. This is how we send our books for on-demand
publication. They keep our entire library on their hard drive(s) ready to
print whenever a product is ordered. No saving of paper masters that get
lost or ruined after several uses. Every print is a first generation print
as well. Graphics with halftones turn out beautifully. We also exchange
files via the internet. A bright outfit should buy an Internet connection
just so customers can send in printfiles. (There's an Internet access outfit
here in Utah that gives unlimited access for $20.00/mo.) It's just another
way of letting your fingers do the walking!

If one doesn't have any of that, PKZIP 2.04g from PKWARE is a file
compression program that can save a single file out across multiple
diskettes. I recently did a full system backup of a friends 80M byte hard
drive using PKZIP to 24 diskettes. It restored perfectly to the new 500 M
byte drive I installed for him. We have a 100-pg manual with many full-page
bitmapped graphics that printed to a single 12.5M byte Postscript file. This
was 'zipped' down to 1.6M bytes across two diskettes. Best yet...PKZIP is
shareware available on almost any BBS!

Merrill Dodge
gmd -at- unislc -dot- slc -dot- unisys -dot- com