Re: "either"

Subject: Re: "either"
From: Nora Merhar <merhar -at- ALENA -dot- SWITCH -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 09:13:31 CST

Ray asks us to choose between

> "Entries either are alphanumeric strings, such as usernames or passwords; or
a> choice between several preset strings, such as enabled or disabled."

> "Entries are either alphanumeric strings...."

> What's more important grammatical exactness or readability?

Ray, I would say that the second is not only more readable, but also
grammatically correct. If a student of mine had written the first sentence, I
would have written "awkward" next to it.

Nora
merhar -at- alena -dot- switch -dot- rockwell -dot- com