Re: "a" vs. "an"

Subject: Re: "a" vs. "an"
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 14:09:34 MDT

John Holland wrote:

'Comparing Psalms 199:11 with v. 32, and Proverbs 23:28 with 24:14,
reminds me of the quote which I attribute to Francis Bacon in an
essay titled "Of Gardens": "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin
of little minds." (If that quote isn't accurate, I'd appreciate
being corrected.)'

You got the quote, but the source is off by a bit. The source is Ralph Waldo
Emerson's "Self-Reliance," and the whole passage reads, "A foolish consistency
is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers
and divines"--certainly a good point to make. The essay is very much worth
reading for those who aren't familiar with it.

Bill Burns
Assm. Technical Wrtier/Editor
Micron Technology, Inc.
Boise, ID