Re: "An" before "h"

Subject: Re: "An" before "h"
From: Sally Marquigny <SALLYM -at- MSMAILHQ -dot- NETIMAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 16:10:00 PST

> I find it distracting when I see it.

Bingo! Isn't that the rule of thumb? It bugs me to no end when I hear or
read it because it makes me pause & think twice because it looks/sounds
wrong. And IMHO, it *is* wrong when you pronounce the "h". Very simple
rule, one of the first they teach the little kids, one of the few in English
that doesn't have any exceptions...except for those who insist on using it
in front of only-some-not-all-we're-not-quite-sure-which-ones-or-why H's!

Keepin' it simple,

Sally