Re: <pPopulate as a verb for "fill in"

Subject: Re: <pPopulate as a verb for "fill in"
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 09:14:46 MDT

This term, although it may be common in the company, smacks of technogarble.
Obviously we have to use some of the technical terms that apply to our subjects,
but too much quasiscientific terminology in the kitchen spoils the soup (sorry,
couldn't help making a bad joke). I would put this material in active voice
and use the term "enter" or "fill" (e.g. "Some fields have no information in
them. You must enter data in these fields.").

I read an interesting essay that deals with the proliferation of this type
of specialized technical jargon. The title is "Babel II." Anyone have a copy?
I'll see if I can get one out to you, if not.

Bill Burns
Micron Technology, Inc.
Boise, ID