Re: page breaks

Subject: Re: page breaks
From: Mike Markley <MMARKLEY -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 15:25:04 MDT

> Sherri Hall asked:

>We have differing opinions in my office and I'd like to hear from this group.
> When do you force page breaks in a technical (printed) manual? ...

The rule of thumb that I have always used is this:

*Try to minimize the amount of forward-backward page-turning required by
the reader to absorb the material.*

When figures or illustrations are involved, it's especially important to
follow this rule and keep the text on the same page with the accompanying
figures (a facing page is acceptable).

If the document is primarily text, forced page breaks probably aren't
necessary unless you want to clearly separate sections within the document.

Hope this helps.

Mike Markley
mmarkley -at- vax -dot- micron -dot- com