Re: Articles with Acronyms

Subject: Re: Articles with Acronyms
From: Dan Glovier <Mercury!tsh!dan -at- MCS -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 11:33:21 -0600

The Gods overheard Kelly Burhenne state:

> Question: When using an acronym (as you all know, very prevalent in our
> profession) preceded by an article, should you use the article that
> agrees with the first word the acronym represents, or use the article
> that agrees with the pronunciation of the acronym.

> e.g.: an FTP
> a FTP

> a SS2000 (SiteScan 2000)
> or an SS2000

> Kelly Burhenne
> burhennk -at- smtpgw -dot- liebert -dot- com

Kelly,

Use the article that agrees with the pronunciation of
acronym (i.e. an FTP).

Quoting from my Little, Brown Handbook (pg. 546):

When you use an abbreviation or acronym in writing, the article that
precedes it depends on how the abbreviation is to be read:
She was once an HEW undersecretary. (HEW is to be read as three letters,
not as a word or as Health, Education, and Welfare.) Many Americans
opposed a SALT treaty. (SALT is to be read as one word, salt, not as
four separate leatters.)

--
Dan Glovier
dan -at- tsh -dot- com

"A million years of evolution, we get Danny Quayle."
- "Insanity" Boingo