Re: Cloud? Firewall?

Subject: Re: Cloud? Firewall?
From: Susan Fowler <sfowler -at- EJV -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 12:34:54 EST

The "cloud" metaphor was probably picked up from the telecommunications field,
where the public telecommunications system is drawn as a cloud on diagrams. The
public network is so big and complicated, and uses so many resources that you
can't draw it without making a mess of lines, and even then you can't fit them
all in. So, they invented the cloud symbol.

A "firewall" is a security system that prevents outsiders from penetrating your
company network (by isolating the communications server somehow) but still
allows communication between people inside and outside. I don't know the
mechanics of it--I'd be curious to hear more.

Susan Fowler
sfowler -at- ejv -dot- com