Cloud Origin--A Guess

Subject: Cloud Origin--A Guess
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 09:12:27 MST

As the subject indicates, this is just my guess on the origin of
the term "cloud" of computers. I believe it comes from network
diagramming, which commonly shows a group of computers contained
within a cloud-shaped enclosure. This usually signifies that
they are networked. Lines connecting different "cloud clusters"
likewise indicate a networking of networks.

(I tried to draw an ascii cloud here, but failed miserably.
I hope you can all visualize what I'm talking about!)

Beverly Parks
bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil