Shareware Documentation

Subject: Shareware Documentation
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 09:31:29 EST

>I'm all for developers hiring writers, but I'm thinking about the shareware
>developer selling a product for $15 - 30. Can this person afford a writer?

Not at our usual rates. Perhaps, though, there are two groups of tech writers
that would be interested in writing shareware documentation for a lower fee:

1) Hardware tech writers looking to make a transition to software docs, and
trying to build a writing sample.
2) Tech writing students, also looking to build a writing sample.

I was in that first group last year, and if I'd thought of it then I'd have
struck some kind of deal with shareware developers. Job-hunting students might
want to explore this avenue (or are the shareware developers already tapping
this resource?)

If the developer and the tech writer are both hungry enough, they'll reach a
deal.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
Beverly, MA