Re: Renamable Terms

Subject: Re: Renamable Terms
From: Glen Accardo <glen -at- SOFTINT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 08:19:58 -0600

> Bonni Graham writes:

> > I'm currently documenting a product for a client. This product includes
> > item names that can be changed to reflect the users' needs. The new
> > name appears in printed information, and on all the program's title bars
> > and dialog boxes. Unfortunately, this means that the only items not
> > reflecting the custom name are the paper manual & the online help.
> >What I'm concerned about is the online help, since it always appears to
> > be much more of a part of the *program*. My client is worried that
> > users will expect to see their changes automatically reflected in the
> > help. I'm not so concerned -- I don't think they will, but I don't
> > want to bet my record for excellence on that assumption.

> > In your experience, do users understand that the help text is not going
> > to reflect any custom changes?

Users never understand. We've shipped several custom versions, and almost
universally, the engineers/whomevers which purchased the software were
happy, but the people using it weren't. Information doesn't seem to
flow downward.

I would advise against shipping the RTF/HPJ/etc. Too many copyright,
nondisclosure agreements, and other legal pains, not to mention the
fact that you'd have to support it.

Try using conditional compile tags in your rtf file. This should do the
trick. Chet Cady also posted a trick to the winhelp list which may solve
your problems. I'll forward it to you if you like, but it's kinda
tricky (albiet rather elegant.)

glen accardo glen -at- softint -dot- com
Software Interfaces, Inc. (713) 492-0707 x122
Houston, TX 77084

Did the Corinthians ever write back?