Re: Dealing with engineers' input

Subject: Re: Dealing with engineers' input
From: Scott McDaniel <mcdaniel -at- USPTO -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 1995 15:53:09 -0500

Arthur Comings (atc -at- corte-madera -dot- geoquest -dot- slb -dot- com) wrote:

: I'm inclined to give an absolute positive or negative response on each
: suggestion, which isn't really needed in a face-to-face. I want to move
: toward a more noncommittal stance, but to avoid any implication that
: I'm implementing any sugestions that I don't object to.

First, if you always give enthusiastic, affirming answers to some
comments and non-committal responses to others, they'll get the idea
about which ones you like and which ones you don't.

What I've found works for me in the short time that I've been
a tech writer is simply saying something along the lines of,
"Okay, I see." That is, I state that I understand the suggestion
and understand why they made it. That does not leave me with
the obligation to follow it. This seems to satisfy most people.
If they really care deeply about that particular suggestion, it's
up to them to follow it up when review time comes around.

Scott McD.