Trigger

Subject: Trigger
From: Rosie <ncrowe -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 12:45:22 -0700

We had a minor controversy on our techwriting team here
last week, and I told my co-writers that I would poll
y'all to find out your opinions.
We are writing some manuals for a set of Windows-based
applications that will be used by a group of folks
that range from completely new to Windows *and* computers
in general to those of relative sophistication.

We had a sentence that told the user:
"The toolbar buttons trigger commands that are also found
on menus."

I thought "trigger" sounded too technical -- my coworker disagreed
since you can "trigger" reactions in people. Another writer
suggested "activate" (which also sounds technical). I
suggested "perform" (which I now dislike).

(I have since had an idea to re-write the entire paragraph
to avoid any of the terminology, but still I would like
your opinions on the words.)

FYI - my suggestion for the rewrite:
"Toolbars buttons allow you to select the commands you may use
most frequently without having to go through the menus."

Rosie (NorthCrowe)
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
*******
"Half an hour's meditation is essential except
when you are very busy. Then a full hour is needed."
-St. Francis De Sales