Re: Basic rules of technical writing

Subject: Re: Basic rules of technical writing
From: Joseph J Little <litt0023 -at- MAROON -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 1994 05:21:10 GMT

Chris Benz wrote:

>> The Golden Rules of Writing
>> 1. Make it understandable.
>> 2. Make it consistent, unless that interferes with Rule 1.
>> 3. Make it grammatically correct, unless that interferes with Rule 1 or 2.
>> 4. Make it technically correct, unless that interferes with Rule 1, 2, or
>> 3.
>> Chris Benz
>> Author, Technical Writer, Computer Trainer
>> 6229438 -at- mcimail -dot- com

Chris,

I don't agree with the placement of Rule 4. Are you saying that
technical accuracy takes a back seat to understandability? If,
by explaining a phenomenon (say, atomic fission) correctly, it
would be hard for an audience to understand, I should solve this
problem by explaining the topic in an understandable yet
incorrect manner? This seems outrageous. Why would your ultimate
goal be to make something understandable if what is being made
understandable is incorrect (not technically accurate)? This
notion seems to be accomplishing two wrong things: first, you
are not educating your audience correctly, and second, you are
educating your audience on an incorrect topic. How do you
explain this?

Joe Little
University of Minnesota