Re: Indexes - Printed vs. On-line

Subject: Re: Indexes - Printed vs. On-line
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 1994 12:28:03 -0700

To add to what Rick says, I think there is some relationship between this
and the reason we can find additional errors when we put the work up for a
few days and come back to it. For me, it is taking a fresh perspective.

> 1) It's cultural. Even the youngest among us on this list grew up learning
from
> paper, and we're more accustomed to absorbing information presented that way.
> If so, then as years pass we'll find on-screen will become dominant.

> 2) It's in the brain. A piece of paper does not move. A screen image flickers,
> and while it's -fast-, the brain -can- perceive the flicker. Perhaps the brain
> processes the information in a different way, because the brain perceives
> motion? If so, then on-screen will have a serious handicap for a long, long
> time.

> Both of these theories may well be wrong. But I'd be interested in opinions on
> this, as well as -why- those typos are so hard to spot on-screen.

> Rick Lippincott
> Eaton Semiconductor
> Beverly, MA
> rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com

RoMay Sitze rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu

...all our finest art pales before the beauty of a single
shining star. --anonymous--