Re: Indexes - Printed vs. On-line

Subject: Re: Indexes - Printed vs. On-line
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 09:12:51 MST

> Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM> wrote:

> For the same reason why it's easier to spot a typo on a paper page than it is
> to spot the same typo on a screen - even when vieing WYSIWYG.

> Two theories that I've just made up (Caution: these are both "pre-coffee"
> theories early in the morning)

> 1) It's cultural. Even the youngest among us on this list grew up learning
from
> paper, and we're more accustomed to absorbing information presented that way.
> If so, then as years pass we'll find on-screen will become dominant.

> 2) It's in the brain. A piece of paper does not move. A screen image flickers,
> and while it's -fast-, the brain -can- perceive the flicker. Perhaps the brain
> processes the information in a different way, because the brain perceives
> motion? If so, then on-screen will have a serious handicap for a long, long
> time.

Very interesting. And not bad for "pre-coffee" thinking! An
additional theory, one I derived from your number two, is

3) Our eyes fatigue faster reading a computer screen (because of
the flicker) than when reading hard copy. When our eyes are
tired, we are more apt to miss things.

Beverly Parks
bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil