Re: Golden Rules

Subject: Re: Golden Rules
From: Kat Nagel <KatNagel -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 23:32:55 -0500

Chris Benz wrote:
> The Golden Rules of Writing
> 1. Make it understandable.
> 2. Make it consistent, unless that interferes with Rule 1.
> 3. Make it grammatically correct, unless that interferes with Rule 1 or 2.
> 4. Make it technically correct, unless that interferes with Rule 1, 2, or 3

Hmmm. I started my professional life as a chemist, not as a writer. Maybe
that's why I prefer another order:

(1) > 4. Make it technically correct <== this is an absolute
*must*
(2) > 3. Make it grammatically correct, unless that interferes with Rule 1.
(3) > 2. Make it consistent, unless that interferes with Rule 1 or Rule 2.

If you do these three things, then your writing *will* be understandable.
You won't need a rule declaring it so.

@kat katnagel -at- aol -dot- com
Life 1: MasterWork (technical writing and document design)
Life 2: PlaynSong & Madrigalia, Ltd (vocal chamber music)
===Life 2 is on hold for awhile, until I stop singing in 3rds===