Re: couth/uncouth

Subject: Re: couth/uncouth
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 23:14:49 -0800

Michael LaTorra said:
> With regard to the topic of backformations, Sally Marquigny wrote:

> >"Couth" is a backformation from "uncouth". The AHD even lists it as a
> >backformation.

> This intrigued me, because I thought that "couth" was an old English
> word. So I went to my copy of Webster's (pub. 1979) and found the
> following:

> couth - a. known [Archaic]

> uncouth - a. [Middle English; Anglo-Saxon] 1. unknown [Obs.].

I'm not sure what the point of this is--it says Archaic, not Old
English, so I would venture to guess that the dictionary writer didn't
have a clue and that there's no evidence for it as an Old English
word. (Otherwise it would say Old English.) They don't list it as a
back-formation, but that's the implication.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com