Re[2]: Grammar and usage

Subject: Re[2]: Grammar and usage
From: "Virginia L. Krenn" <asdxvlk -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 08:37:20 -0600

I think that the reason companies are protective of their names is
that if a name (e.g., Kleenex or Windows) falls into the vernacular
due to repeated generic usage, then the company can no longer claim
the name as its own.

Author: Sue Heim <SUE -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com> at SMTP

This reminds me of the problem with writing for a Windows-based software
application. Microsoft (gotta love 'em) *requires* that all references to
products working under their operating system are written as follows:

Such-and-such for the Microsoft(R) Windows(tm) operating system

Rather than:

Such-and-such for Windows(tm)

For every instance in which the word "Windows" occurs. This is really an
impossible way to write, don't ya'all agree? They do hold the winning card,
however. Should you decide not to conform to their "rules," you no longer will
be allowed to state on product packaging or documentation that you are
compatible with their operating system (should you get caught, anyways)!

PJ Rose expounds with: