Re: Keeping your nose clean

Subject: Re: Keeping your nose clean
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 09:11:00 -0500

** Maybe you can't if the manufacturer is a big client of yours and you
want to remain on friendly terms. But a lawyer can't bring a
reasonable suit against you for a sentence like that, assuming you
mean a Kleenex tissue.

I wouldn't be so quick to assert that. Simply because the suit isn't (in your
opinion) reasonable doesn't mean it can't be brought, or worse, can't be won.
(My favorite example of this is the liability suit against a lawn mower
manufacturer because someone used it as a hedge trimmer and it slipped! The
lawn mower folks lost, even though any definition of "reasonable" I'm familiar
with doesn't include the use of a lawn mower without at least one of its wheels
on the ground.)

In any case, it's simply bad writing, as the term "Kleenex," as used, is
ambiguous. I don't know if you mean facial tissue, toilet tissue, or a paper
towel that happened to be handy in an emergency. The word is useless in that
context, as replacing it with "Snarglethweep" would convey almost the same
information.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 24