Re: Style question

Subject: Re: Style question
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 13:16:16 MST

> RE: On the Customer Payment Report Screen, you can . . .

> or

> On the Customer Payment Report screen, you can . . . ?

> No capital "screen."
> ----------

I would definitely go with the lowercase s on screen. I do not
have a direct reference for you as it relates to users manuals
and computer screens, but one that is fairly close is from The
New York Public Library Writer's Guide to Style and Usage.
Regarding capitialization of signs and notices: "Titles of
notices and signs are usually capitalized, both on the sign or
notice itself and in any reference to it." One of the samples
they give for this is the important part:

The airplane's No Smoking sign was lit.

If you see No Smoking as equivalent to the screen title and the
word "sign" as equivalent to the word "screen," then you can
accept this as a valid reference.

The software's Customer Payment Report screen is displayed.

What do you think? Am I stretching it?

Beverly Parks
bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil