Re: Mosaic as an online documentation viewing engine?

Subject: Re: Mosaic as an online documentation viewing engine?
From: "harold (h.o.n.) floysvik" <hal -at- BNR -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 11:23:00 -0500

In message "Mosaic as an online documentation viewing engine?",
patricko -at- EICON -dot- com writes:

> ... SNIP .................
> Re:
> Re:Never mind the FIRST hurdle: getting people weaned from paper-based, bound
> Re:docs. Hell, *I* still prefer the heft and presence of bound manuals; how am
> Re:I supposed to convince *users* that online docs are better?
> Re:

FWIW... I like using online help *when* they are useful, relevant, and
sufficient. For example, back in the mainframe days I gladly weaned
myself of the printed REXX and XEDIT manuals because I found the help
system sufficient. Besides, with the exception of only a very few
convoluted, feature ridden commands, the book and the screen were
usually identical.

I also find MS Help to be useful too; I only wish the damn thing would
return me to the find menu (or whatever it is called) at the point
i *left* it. I hate like hell to re-enter my search arguements just to
check out other sub-items.

On the other hand, I have never found online help systems to be a good way
to learn something from scratch. For reference purposes, OK, but for a long
dissertation I much prefer hardcopy (the book, not the TV show).

...Hal