Re: Reasons for online

Subject: Re: Reasons for online
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 11:40:23 EST

I'll throw my two-cents in on indexing, and I think I've said this at least
once before.

The FrameMaker method of building an index is neat & fast, but it leaves
much to be desired. I've been at my current job for about six months, I'm
learning a new technology, and I've inherited existing manuals. When people
approach me and ask "Where is such-and-such a procedure in the manual?" in
most cases I have to go to the index. If they have -not- given me a name
that's a match for a procedure title, I'm stumped. I spent hours recently
trying to find the "HYT" procedure, because I didn't know that "HYT" is a
trade name for a procedure called "Real Time Particle Detection."

It's also worth noting that the index for FrameMaker manuals were apparently
-not- prepared using Frame's auto indexing system.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
Beverly, MA
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com