Modem Speeds

Subject: Modem Speeds
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 00:28:12 GMT

-> BTW, to ensure a pleasant experience with a 28,800 modem, I suspect
-> we'll need extra clean data lines from the phone company. I pay for
-> such a line to make my 14,400 connections.

Frankly, I wouldn't bother. The data line is good only till it hits the
first switch down at the phone company's CO. After that, it's routed
over plain old voice grade lines. That means your data calls end up
travelling over anything from fiber-optic digital lines to 1950s era
mechanical switches.

A decent quality 28.8k modem (e.g. US Robotics) can handle an average
quality voice grade phone line without much trouble, so why pay extra
for at best a few miles of clean connection, after which it's pretty
much pot-luck as to how your call is routed ...

Cheers, @DISCLAIMER@
Gwen gwen -dot- barnes -at- mustang -dot- com
MSI * Connecting the world in '94 805-873-2500