Re: Modem Speeds

Subject: Re: Modem Speeds
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1994 15:32:00 -0500

Right now, a 28,800 modem isn't worth the investment for most home
computer users. For me, I could use 28,800 modem to connect to only
a few local BBSs. And the price of the modems is too high; they're
still exotic.

Typical prices for 28.8 V.34 (insist on V.34, as that's the standard) are now
about $260. Real exotic prices. Having said that, I'll note that I'm using a
2400 baud modem at home. I don't depend on a home modem for anything but fun, so
*any* cost for upgrading to a faster modem comes well behind other trivial
expenses, such as food and mortgage and kid's clothes.

BTW, to ensure a pleasant experience with a 28,800 modem, I suspect
we'll need extra clean data lines from the phone company. I pay for
such a line to make my 14,400 connections.

The portable patrol here is going 14.4 and even 19.2 with not much fuss. I've
even borrowed a 14.4 from work on a few occasions and came in via PPP with no
difficulty from home.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 24