Mosaic as an online documentation viewing engine?

Subject: Mosaic as an online documentation viewing engine?
From: Karen Hopp <kmh -at- ALTAIR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1994 12:12:09 -0500

Greetings All,

Steve Jong asked the following regarding the use of Mosaic as a method of
delivering on-line data:

> I've heard some suggestions that Mosaic is a good choice for online
> document viewing. The idea is to write product documentation in (or
> filter it into) HTML and then use Mosaic for display.

> Does anyone have experience with this delivery method? Is it a sound idea?
> Might it in fact be the future of user information?

I would agree that Mosaic is a good choice for online document viewing.
However, you need to consider if ALL your customers also have Mosaic at
their disposal -- if not, your first problem arises... Ask me, I know, we
developed everything for our first online documentation release with the
assumption that we'd be using Mosaic as our viewer. A week before release, we
needed to find a new tool, that also read HTML, etc., etc. This is because
Mosaic does cost money to use with your product if your customers don't
already have it at their site. Additionaly, Mosaic licensing disallows you
from (1) downloading it for your customers or (2) providing them with
instructions on how to download it.....

I have a copy of FAQ answers about Using and Licensing NCSA Mosaic from June
17, 1994. I didn't want to post it here as it is long and I didn't think it
was an area that interested everyone on this list.

Hope this helps,
karen

Karen M. Gilbert
Software Engineer

Altair Engineering, Inc. (TEL) 810.614.2400 x426
1757 Maplelawn Drive (FAX) 810.614.2411
Troy, MI 48084-4004 (NET) kmh -at- altair -dot- com
~