Re: Use of K (thousand) and M (million)

Subject: Re: Use of K (thousand) and M (million)
From: ellen trevarthen <trevar -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 1994 17:00:17 MST

In article <9411067867 -dot- AA786758082 -at- cclink -dot- logicon -dot- com> "Montgomery, Kevin"
<kmontgomery -at- logicon -dot- com> writes:
>From: "Montgomery, Kevin" <kmontgomery -at- logicon -dot- com>
>Subject: Use of K (thousand) and M (million)
>Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 23:43:39 GMT

> Folks -

> I frequently edit documents in which analysts list quantities and
> ranges of quantities using K to indicate thousands, e.g., 70K to mean
> 70,000. I am comfortable with that usage in these particular documents
> because it avoids long strings of zeros or the inappropriate formality
> of spelling out the numbers. However, these analysts also use M to
> indicate millions, e.g., 3M to mean 3,000,000. I am uncomfortable with
> that usage because it isn't in my dictionary, and because it might be
> confused with the Roman M for 1,000. It would certainly be a
> convenient usage in the context, and neither my analysts nor their
> customers have problems with it. Anyone care to share their opinion
> about the subject with me? Thanks.

> -Kevin kmontgomery -at- logicon -dot- com

Hi, Kevin,

I work as a secretary in the documentation section of a prestigious federally
funded R&D center. I read this newsgroup because my section is composed of
many tech writers and editors and I find it helpful to stay current on
the concerns and tips mentioned in the postings. My boss was an editor
for many years before she promoted to management. I assist her with
financial reports, presentations to upper management, etc. We frequently use
K to indicate thousands and M for millions in our reports. K as in $20K is
widely understood and accepted. M as in $20M is also understood, but in many
reports I've seen where millions are being discussed, there will often be a
footnote or a parenthetical note in the table or elsewhere such as:

Volume
(in millions)

20
320
480

etc.

This eliminates the need to repeat the M on every line.

Good luck.

--Ellie