That/Which Usage

Subject: That/Which Usage
From: "USA::MU17692" <MU17692%USA -dot- decnet -at- USAV01 -dot- GLAXO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 16:20:00 EST

Gail DeCamp asked about whether we technical communicators pay attention
to the correct use of "that" and "which." I do. The meaning of the clause
or sentence in which one of these words is used changes depending upon
which is used.

Here's the best example I have seen to show the important difference
between these words:

The rules of English grammar, which are impractical,
should be ignored.

The rules of English grammar that are impractical
should be ignored.

The meanings are quite different.

That's my say on this matter.

-Mike Uhl (uhl~m -at- glaxo -dot- com)