Re: That and Which--is it worth it?

Subject: Re: That and Which--is it worth it?
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 10:15:29 EST

Barb Miller asked:

>If most of our readers don't know the distinction (or care), should we
>be so strict in applying grammar rules?

I think so. Although it is a subtle distinction, it may have very useful
applications at times when we -need- to make a subtle distinction.

Although most users may not know or care, there comes a point where someone
does know, does care, and mis-use of the word could cause a problem. (It
reminds me again of that story I posted a couple of weeks ago, where a tech
writer used the words "bare metal" instead of "uncoated metal" and caused the
grounding of an entire fleet of Air Force transport airplanes.)

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
Beverly, MA
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com