That/which

Subject: That/which
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 09:11:17 EST

On Thu, 15 Dec 1994, Gail DeCamp wrote:

> I have a that/which question. I've had reputable sources tell me that
> there are distinct rules for using "that" and "which"....namely, that
> one is restrictive and the other is not. <snip>

> Does anyone else out there follow this rule? It seems pretty subtle to
> me. (If it changed the meaning of a sentence, I might worry about it,
> but otherwise I would not.)

> Gail DeCamp
> Network General Corporation

Our official company style is to use these restrictive/non-restrictive
that-which rules. I follow them myself. My coworker (also on this list)
does not, though she is a fine person in many other ways and may bring
Christmas cookies to the office if I don't offend her.

I don't worry about following the rule. I just do it, because it makes
sense to me.

Seems to me that many people use "which" when "that" would do just fine
because they think "which" is more literate. Sort of like the people who
have been taught never to say "me," so they say "Coleen and myself had a
fierce argument over serial commas."

|| * \ . . / * || * Melissa Hunter-Kilmer (mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com) *
\\____\X/____// * Bureau of National Affairs (NOT the government!) *
/ * /O\ * \ * Washington, DC *