Re[2]: alot

Subject: Re[2]: alot
From: "Virginia L. Krenn" <asdxvlk -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 18:08:44 -0600

I think that some of you may be missing the point. This thread began
with the following statement.

"... "alot" is not a word!! There is a legitimate word "allot," and
there is the descriptor "a lot" (meaning 'a whole bunch' usually of
something), but there is not "alot." As technical writers, we
should zealously guard against misuse of the language this way!"

I'm not sure what the poster's intentions were when she mentioned
this. And, it probably would have been dropped there. But, there
have been some postings that defended the use of this 'word'. There
have also been some postings that object to it being defined as a
new word. I don't think that anyone has criticized anyone's
typographical errors, etc.

Has this topic been discussed enough?