Salary Question

Subject: Salary Question
From: Kimberly Wiederman <kim -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 17:17:08 EST

Hi Everyone.

I'm new to the list--just joined today. :)

I'm a senior in the STC program at Michigan Tech. University,
and I'm graduating *yipee* in May, 1995.

I've been going through postings on the Net, along with postings
elsewhere, and always get stumped when it comes to the salary
section. I think out of all the postings I've read (over 300
probably), that only 3 actually put down a dollar amount.
I know it's very characteristic of employers to use phrases
such as: "send resume with salary requirements," "compensation
is commensurate with degree and work experience," "competitive
salary," etc... But this isn't good enough! *laugh*

Well, in regards to this, I wondered if anyone out there had
any words of wisdom on what exactly to expect, or ask for.
Some of the amounts that were listed on a couple postings
seemed low. Maybe I'm expecting too much. ???

I worked for a few years after highschool, before I decided
that I needed a college education, and was making $10.50/hr.
This is more than what some of those postings were offering!
*sigh*

I just thought that with a college degree, I would at least
start in the high 20's or low 30's. I guess I'm wondering
if I'm expecting too much. ???

Anyway, if anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much!

Kim Wiederman
kim -at- mtu -dot- edu