Re: prepositions

Subject: Re: prepositions
From: Janet Valade <jvalade -at- CALSTATELA -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 16:08:06 -0600

>I don't have any trouble ending a sentence with a preposition. Sometimes
>the construction I'd need to use to get around it is more trouble than it's
>worth. If the sentence is clearer and shorter with the preposition at the
>end, that's where I put it.

>Example:
>"You can use compiler options to control the linking process by changing
>the type of runtime library you link to."

I have a lot of trouble ending a sentence with a preposition. Perhaps I'm
just a dinasaur. I usually find an alternate wording which avoids the
problem.

Example:
You can use compiler options to link to different types of runtime libraries.
(Since this is out of context, of course, I may just have changed the
meaning.)

Janet
jvalade -at- calstatela -dot- edu