Re: Word use: Express/ed (You ha

Subject: Re: Word use: Express/ed (You ha
From: "William J. Hartzer" <William -dot- Hartzer -at- EMC2-TAO -dot- FISC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 13:57:00 EST

Sally, I need to set some things straight here. Before you accuse me of being
someone who needs to "calm down" and tell me to just take the advice and take
it or leave it, you need to get YOUR facts straight. You're obviously
mis-interpreting something here.

1) I never asked for advice regarding the "Express/ed" issue. I was one of
the respondees to this original question! I just carried the conversation a
little farther than the original person (I don't remember who it was) did.

I never asked the question! I responded to it. Don't accuse me of being rash
and hasty; all I was trying to is to present MY OWN OPINION, and I will always
be the first one to admit that it is my opinion. By nature, I tend to be very
inquisitive, questioning and/or presenting the "other" view in most matters
that can be questioned.

As it turned out, I DID admit that I was never a lawyer or anyone who had any
type of law experience or knowledge. I also DID admit that whatever way that
sentence was written legally or "officially" is the way I'd use it. And then
I also stated that it was not the first time that I had seen something written
in an "official" manner that was gramatically incorrect.

2) If I ever ask for advice from anyone (or the group), and I have, I am the
first person to thank everyone for their advice and appreciate every single
response that is given. However, I do tend to get frustrated by people who
obviously do not read entire messages and follow entire threads of
conversation and those who give bad advice; but that goes with the territory,
so I overlook it and don't let it get to me. That's my problem.

Sally, before you go on to draw conclusions that I don't appreciate people who
respond to threads on this list and are generally dislike the advice I
receive, I think YOU should "wait an hour before you send the message."

As for my appreciation and sincerity, I couldn't agree with you more:

"I have found the members of this list to be an irreplaceable group... and
their opinions carry weight with me, especially when their views are argued
intelligently and logically. I like to learn from these folks--much faster
than doing it the "hard way."

Sally, I do not believe that my responses have been less than civil and
appreciative. If they were, I didn't mean them to be; I was trying to present
my opinion, and hope that people read these responses under the impression
that they were my opinion. I was just trying to help someone out by
responding to their message/question.

Bill Hartzer
Technical Writer, Fischer International Systems Corporation.