Roman page numbers for front matter

Subject: Roman page numbers for front matter
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 23:42:44 -0800

>Roman numerals have no place in publications, not even in the
>"front matter." Especially if they get as high as lviii. If a page
>needs numbering, put it in the usual "Arabic" numbers.

I kinda like 'em. But even if I hated them, I wouldn't want to fight the
logistic problems of numbering books consecutively from title page = page 1.
And if you're going to have separate numbering sequences for front matter
and the rest of the book I can't think of a very attractive alternative to
roman numerals.

Of course, 58 pages of front matter suggests an organizational problem. ...RM

Richard Mateosian Technical Writer in Berkeley CA srm -at- c2 -dot- org