Use of M

Subject: Use of M
From: Christopher Miller <cmmiller -at- BRAHMS -dot- UDEL -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 19:41:16 -0500

The "K" and "M" thread remind me of an experience that I had while
learning the printing trade 19 years ago. As an apprentice pressman, I
questioned my production manager what the use of "M" meant to indicate
quantities on the job orders. For example, I would receive a job order to
print "5M letterheads." My manager said, "You idiot, 'M' stands for a
thousand." As far as I know, to this day printing orders are written up
in this way. (excuse the passive, it couldn't be helped) ;-)

Anyway, I have yet to see M used as 1000 anywhere else. Is this just a
Delaware thing? Ask your printer.

Chris Miller

"Engage" - Captain Picard