Re: redundancy

Subject: Re: redundancy
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 11:11:00 PST

IMHO replace the slash with a coma and leave the second clause in.
========================
At 19:19 12/7/94 -0500, Peter W Praetorius wrote:
>I am presently working for a manufacturer of lawn mowers. Today the boss,
>while editing a manual in print, asked my opinion of a sentence that he
>feels is redundant, yet he's wondering if leaving it in might be better
>from a legal standpoint. One of the main reasons for the manuals is to
>protect the company from law suits. For instance, one person sued the
>company for not warning him that he should not use the machine for a hedge
>trimmer -- he lost some fingers. Now all manuals have a statement that
>says that the mower is to be used solely for cutting grass.

>So what do you all think of this sentence? Should the material after the
>"slash" (/) mark be deleted? And is there ever a place for redundancy
>in technical writing?

>"Always operate at speeds that allow you to have complete control of the
>tractor / and can maneuver safely or stop in case of an emergency."

>Probably not the best sentence to begin with, but his feeling was that
>"complete control" would imply "maneuver safely. . . ."

>Pete

>-----------------------------------
>Pete Praetorius ,--O
>ppraeto -at- hubcap -dot- clemson -dot- edu _ \<,_
>ppraeto -at- clemson -dot- clemson -dot- edu (_)/ (_)

Regards,

Marc

Technical Writer/Trainer
TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr.
Oakland, CA 94612-3540
santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"Better to be judged by twelve, than carried by six"