Arlen's right (was Word use: Express/ed (Absurd...))

Subject: Arlen's right (was Word use: Express/ed (Absurd...))
From: Matt Hicks <matt -at- UNIDATA -dot- UCAR -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 11:46:26 -0700

On Fri, 9 Dec 1994, William J. Hartzer wrote:

> Arlen writes:
> >(BTW, in case you haven't guessed, I think the word is "express" rather than
> >"expresed," and that...

> Arlen, you're wrong. Look at the original sentence again! The statement says
> that you (or anyone else) may not copy it unless you have the written consent
> or the (author). If you (or anyone else) are copying it(thus you have
> RECEIVED permission from the author prior to your using it), you have received
> the EXPRESSED written consent of the author.

I find myself in the peculiar situation (to me anyway) of defending
Arlen (not that you can't handle it yourself, Arlen). Arlen is right. I
was pretty sure that "express" was correct myself, and I finally dug out
my office enough to find and consult my dictionary (a step which hardly
anyone seems to have thought to take). The adjective form of the word
"express" has the following meanings according to the AHD (examples are
theirs as well):

1. Definitely and explicitly stated: his express wish. 2. Particular;
specific: an express purpose.

There are also meanings that imply speed or a rush delivery. There is no
ambiguity in the original example; their use of "expressed" is simply
wrong. William (Bill?), you'd do well to do a little research before you
so emphatically "correct" someone's usage.

We all have the tools (anyone not have a dictionary?), let's try and use
them. My apologies to those who did look it up and whose posts I may have
missed.

Matt Hicks, Tech. Writer, Unidata * I may not agree with what you
Boulder, CO, (303)497-8676, ******* say, but I'll defend to the
matt -at- unidata -dot- ucar -dot- edu ************* death my right to mock you.