Re: Year 2000

Subject: Re: Year 2000
From: Ray Bruman <rbruman -at- RND -dot- RAYNET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 10:32:23 PST

> For those of you in big-iron, corporate computing environments, this is
> *extremely* serious business. My boss just circulated an article (which,
> naturally, I can't locate) explaining that this change will create havoc
> when it hits, and very, very few shops are addressing the issue.

Warning articles like this have circulated in the data-processing
community for quite some time. The optimists see a field day for
EDP consultants, who command high fees for pulling people's fat
out of the fire. Pessimists see widespread collapse and chaos,
because people are notoriously unprepared. At the last turn of
the century, only Herman Hollerith was doing any mechanical
info processing at all. This time, we can imagine global economic
consequences. Whee!

Technical communicators will be:

A: cheerfully employed documenting the changes
B: subsisting on roots and berries with the rest of humanity

what do you think?

Ray Bruman In this establishment,
Raynet Corp. we DO NOT DISCUSS
rbruman -at- raynet -dot- com race, religion, politics, global economic chaos,
415-688-2325 or nutrition.