Re: argument!!

Subject: Re: argument!!
From: SuePStewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 21:33:59 -0500

timothy -at- ESKIMO -dot- COM sez: >>The sentence -> Millions of people from every
continent are connected to it.

>>the word "it" is the subject and an echo word<<

I'm only a grammar maven 2nd class, but I believe that "it" is *not* the
subject. It is the object of the preposition "to" which modifies the verb
"connected." The subject is understood, apparently from a preceding sentence
("The Internet is a humongous network of networks. Millions of people ...").
And as a previous respondent mentioned, simply flipping this into active
voice ("It is connected") changes the meaning.

As we've been saying, there is nothing wrong with passive voice, when it is
appropriate.

suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com