Re: argument!!

Subject: Re: argument!!
From: Dan Glovier <Mercury!tsh!dan -at- MCS -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 14:19:35 -0600

In <m0rFSR2-000Bc6C -at- mercury -dot- mcs -dot- com>, Matt Hicks spaketh:
>On Wed, 7 Dec 1994, Virginia L. Krenn wrote:

>> It is connected to millions of people from every continent.

>....and it must be stopped!

>Sounds like the plot of a sci-fi/monster flick.

>Seriously though, is "people are connected to it" the same as "it is
>connected to people"? I don't think so. If I pin a button to my shirt, is
>the shirt then attached to the button? Perhaps so, technically, but no
>action performed on the shirt (short of ripping it) will unpin the
>button--the shirt is acted upon by the pin. So the pin is attached to the
>shirt, just as a lamprey might be attached to a shark, but not vice versa.

You are correct, sir! (IMHO) The rewrite has changed what is the subject
and what is the object of the sentence. At times this point may be moot,
(when I don't know, but it may) but I think as a whole it is pretty darn
important.

Later,

--
Dan Glovier
dan -at- tsh -dot- com

"I want to know why Hemmingway cracked..."

-Bad Religion "Stranger than Fiction"