confused numbers

Subject: confused numbers
From: Matt Hicks <matt -at- UNIDATA -dot- UCAR -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 09:02:33 -0700

On Wed, 7 Dec 1994, Richard Lippincott wrote:

> Kevin Montgomery asked about "K" for thousand and "M" for million.
> Consider, however, that
> with only one symbol different between three thousand and three million,
> there's always a possibility of error through typo.

Rather like the recent report on Proposition 18(6?) in our local paper, which
referred to the "1.7 billion illegal aliens" in California. Boy, talk
about a housing crunch. :-)

Matt (hoping he hasn't started a numerical-typo thread--please?) Hicks

Matt Hicks, Tech. Writer, Unidata * I may not agree with what you
Boulder, CO, (303)497-8676, ******* say, but I'll defend to the
matt -at- unidata -dot- ucar -dot- edu ************* death my right to mock you.