copyright & trademark

Subject: copyright & trademark
From: Kelly Kremin <kellyk -at- CYBEROPTICS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 08:02:13 LCL

This is my understanding of the process for these things. I may be wrong,
but I believe:

The "C" is for written material such as an ad, manual or brochure. All
you have to do is put the phrase "C 1994 company name" on the material to
indicate your intention to protect usage of the material. No further
action is necessary unless someone copies the material or challenges your
right to it. At that time, the issue becomes who can prove they
originated the material.

To indicate an intention to use a trademark, all you have to do is put
a "TM" on whatever when you use it. After a few years of usage, you
could then register it. (I believe the new law allows you to file an
"Intention to Trademark" immediately, but it is not required.) After
your thing is officially registered, you would then start using an "R"
on it.