Re: Gut Reactions to SGML

Subject: Re: Gut Reactions to SGML
From: Chet Ensign <chet -at- LDS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 15:15:07 -0400

Kate Morrow writes:

>There's little in the literature of SGML that gives this grad student a
> feeling for how the technology impacts the writing process--whether it gives
> a "new freedom to focus on content rather than formatting" (what would that
> feel like anyway?) or introduces new drudgery in the form of laborious
> production tasks. Is this something that someone else does to your source
> file after you've written it?

Kate,

Liora Altschuler has written eloquently to this exact topic, and I believe she
has posted her reactions to TECHWR-L on several occasions. Liora feels
strongly -- and I agree -- that SGML writing/editing systems, properly
implemented, provide technical writers with an environment that supports the
structured approach to writing that characterizes the best of our work. I can
tell you from experience that SGML systems, properly implemented, make
laborious production tasks melt away.

The key, as you can see, is that caveat "properly implemented." Setting up
SGML writing/production systems is much like setting up database systems. It
requires a lot more planning and design up front than simple off-the-shelf
word processing/desk top software does. And the payoff from that investment
tends to happen downstream -- when you don't have to spend a fortune to convert
your library of valuable information from yesterday's fabulous production tool
(Script) or today's fabulous production tool (FrameMaker) into tomorrow's
fabulous production tool (Bart's-Best-Fonto'matic). For example.

Actually, my company is working on a product that we expect will ease the
transition for writers from format-oriented days of yore to structure-oriented
days of ??? Hmmm. What's the opposite of "yore?" Well, whatever. I think for
now, most writers still find their first experience daunting, but that's
changing.

Nice question. I hope it provokes a lot of discussion.

Best regards,

/chet

---
Chet Ensign